Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Genesis 9:1-17 -- The First Covenant

Yeah, so I got completely wrapped up in other things this morning and did not even think about the blog or my daily reading!  Man, I do not want to fall into that routine again.  I've been really enjoying typing up these posts!

Genesis 9:1 God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. 2 The fear and terror of you will be in every living creature on the earth, every bird of the sky, every creature that crawls on the ground, and all the fish of the sea. They are placed under your authority. 3 Every living creature will be food for you; as I gave the green plants, I have given you everything. 4 However, you must not eat meat with its lifeblood in it. 5 I will require the life of every animal and every man for your life and your blood. I will require the life of each man’s brother for a man’s life.

I discussed before how Noah and Adam receive similar commandments on being fruitful and what they could eat. You can ready my post titled Mmmmm... Meat to see what I said on that.


Genesis 9:6 Whoever sheds man’s blood,his blood will be shed by man,for God made man in His image.


Whoever kills man shall be killed by man.  Very straight forward.  If you kill someone, then you too shall die.  The reason for this is that we are made in HIS image.  The death of an animal does not require the death of the one who killed it.  That is because man is set apart from the animals.  We are made in the image of God where as animals are not.

Genesis 9:7 But you, be fruitful and multiply; spread out over the earth and multiply on it.”

We know that Noah's family was fruitful and multiplied and eventually they did spread all of the earth.  It seems that at first all the people stayed relatively close together.  In chapter 11 we read that "from there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth."  This being after the attempted Tower of Babel.

Genesis 9:8 Then God said to Noah and his sons with him, 9 “Understand that I am confirming My covenant with you and your descendants after you, 10 and with every living creature that is with you—birds, livestock, and all wildlife of the earth that are with you—all the animals of the earth that came out of the ark. 11 I confirm My covenant with you that never again will every creature be wiped out by the waters of a flood; there will never again be a flood to destroy the earth.”
Never again will the Lord cause a flood that will wipe off all life.  He promised and the Lord always keeps his promises!

Numbers 23:19 God is not a man who lies, or a son of man who changes His mind. Does He speak and not act, or promise and not fulfill?
1 Kings 8:7 The Lord has fulfilled what He promised. I have taken the place of my father David, and I sit on the throne of Israel, as the Lord promised.
Acts 13:23 “From this man’s [David's] descendants, according to the promise, God brought the Savior, Jesus, to Israel.

The above passages show just some of the promises that the Lord has kept.
Genesis 9:12 And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between Me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all future generations: 13 I have placed My bow in the clouds, and it will be a sign of the covenant between Me and the earth.14 Whenever I form clouds over the earth and the bow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember My covenant between Me and you and all the living creatures: water will never again become a flood to destroy every creature. 16 The bow will be in the clouds, and I will look at it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all the living creatures on earth.” 17 God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have confirmed between Me and every creature on earth.”

The Lord even gave a sign to Noah and his people to show that he will never destroy the earth by flood again.   He placed a rainbow in the sky.  Now, every time we see a rainbow, we can remember the covenant and promise God gave to Noah and his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment