Monday, March 11, 2013

Genesis 1:1-3 -- Day 1

So, now that I have answered the question, why did God create all things, I'm going to continue reading, starting back at verse one.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. 3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.  Wow.  When I think about this and what it would have been like to actually see this happen, I think about being deep in a cave where no sunlight (or any light) has ever been.  To be in absolute darkness is what I imagine when I think about before light was created.  And when God spoke, I image that all of a sudden, it becomes so brightly blinding with light.  White all around.  You can see nothing but light.

My husband has written a blog post himself about the beginning and what he believes happened.  If you would like to see his blog, which goes into a lot more scripture and details than mine, just visit What happened "In the beginning?" and The end of "What happened in the beginning?"

Genesis 1:4 God saw that the light was good,and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Yes, I believe in a literal six day creation.  I believe God created all things in six days.  I used to believe that the six days of creation corresponded to geological time periods.  I was trying to reconcile the Bible with science.  (I will not go into a deep theological discussion on my understanding of why I believe in six literal days of creation, but if you want to know more or less my personal beliefs, my husband has also written a blog on that!  If you want to read it, just visit Why I believe in six literal days of creation and Part 2.)

Another part of science that people try to reconcile the Bible with is the Big Bang, saying that the creation story is an account of the Big Bang.  One major assumption of the Big Bang is that the universe was created by an explosion of very dense, chaotic material.  Some, in an attempt to reconcile the two, say that God simply spoke order into what was already there, thus the Big Bang happened.  I see at least one major issue with this.  If God's creation of the universe was simply ordering what was already there, then where did the stuff come from that God made the universe from?  Why couldn't God make something from nothing?  He is God.  All things are possible with him!  I believe that God created the world from nothing.  He brought forth all things by the Word of his mouth and the power of his hands.  I found a few verses to look at.

John 1:3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

John says that "without him, NOTHING was made."  This clearly suggest that nothing existed that God did not make.  EVERYTHING we see, know, feel, and experience was made by God.  IF there was an event like the Big Bang, then God was the one who created the material from which the Big Bang occurred.  We, as humans, have a hard time imaging this.  We can only create using materials.  We bend and manipulate them to form something new.  God does not need anything to create.  He can create with just his words.  We cannot just make something if we want.  We cannot say I want to create a flower and the flower just appear.  (Which is what I image happened when God spoke -- Yes he is that powerful!)

Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

Hebrews says that "by faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command."  By Faith.  That means we must believe that the Bible has told us the truth about what happened in creation.  We were not there, so we will not ever know for sure what happened when God said, "Let there be light."  We can imagine and believe and that is about it.

Colossians 1:16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.  

Colossians here says "all things have been created through him."  ALL things.  EVERY thing.

Now these things are not to say that science and the Bible can never agree.  And I am not against science.  I love science, just not all their theories.  Science attempts to explain the order in the universe.  God created the universe, and gave it order and us the knowledge and understanding to see the order and learn about how it works.  Thus we have science:  to help us better understand the creation of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment