Sunday, March 10, 2013

Genesis 1:1 -- In the beginning...

In an effort to do my daily readings and actually meditate on the Word of God, I am going to type out my thoughts and feelings upon my readings each day.  I do not know about all of you out there, but I know for me, I have a hard time committing to reading everyday, or even thinking about doing it.  I know I need some sort of accountability!

Now where to start!  I think the best place to begin is in the beginning, with Genesis.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

After reading just the one verse, I think to myself, where else does the Bible use the phrase "In the beginning?"  I know right of hand that it is used in John 1:1, which reads:

John 1.1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  2.  He was with God in the beginning.

I know from Bible studies and sermons that John is talking about Jesus in these verses.  "In the beginning was the Word:"  Jesus has always been.  "The Word was with God:" Jesus has always been with God, from the beginning.  "The Word was God:" Jesus and God are one.   The fact the verse 2 repeats "He was with God in the beginning" shows how important it is to know that God and Jesus have always been.

A second reference is in Psalms:

Psalm 102:25 
In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth,
and the heavens are the work of your hands.

This verse is also repeated in Hebrews 1:10.  They both show the importance of knowing God is the creator.  None of this just happened!  The earth is not an accident.  It was all planned and designed by God.

Ok, now going back to Genesis 1.   When is the beginning?  Well, the beginning is the start of time.  God has always existed.  He exist inside and outside of time.  That is how he can be everywhere at all times.  We cannot fathom what it is like to be outside of time, since time is all we know.

"God created the heavens and the earth."  Yes he did!  God created the earth and everything in it (as we read later).  This leads me to another question... Why?  Why did God create the heavens and the earth?  What was the purpose.  He did not have to.  He was complete by himself, so why was the heavens and the earth created?  I will have to tackle this tomorrow... they little one is calling me!

No comments:

Post a Comment